Political Asylum- U.S.A
- Basit filed for political Asylum on 08/30/2016
- Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International submitted a letter of support for his application, alongside public record of his unjust sentence in Egypt.
- Basit was arrested on 04/05/2018 outside of home via ICE.
Death Sentence in Military Court - Egypt
Case # 174 of 2015 - West Cairo Military Court :
- Dr. Basit is a former Cairo University doctoral student in physics who helped organize peaceful protests against the military’s removal of Egypt’s first freely elected president in July 2013 and the ensuing human rights abuses perpetrated by the authorities, including the killing of student protesters.
- In June 2014, the president of Cairo University referred Dr. Basit for investigation before a disciplinary council, and, a year later, the university ordered him expelled for encouraging protests on his Facebook page and organizing “hostile demonstrations” that “disturbed security.”
- Dr. Basit's expulsion was covered by independent Egyptian media outlets, and the Egyptian Association for Freedom of Thought and Expression (AFTE) criticized his expulsion for violating his right to a fair hearing.
- Dr. Ahmed Abdelbasit was sentenced to death in absentia by a military court in Egypt in May 2016.
- Human Rights Watch issued a report on Military Court Death Sentences which highlights his case.